Sunday 23 October 2016

SOMETHING ENTIRELY NEW

To me that is. Will I ever stop learning? This little gem appeared in the paper today. I have just tried it out and it works! Drop a battery (AA is what I used) on to a hard surface, (my PC desk), from a couple of inches. A fresh Alkaline type will land with a thud and scarcely bounce. However, a run down battery will jump up and down several times. On test there's a voltage difference too. Only 1.36V for a low battery and over 1.6V for a fresh one. {Both measured off load}. This is a splendid trick for someone without a meter.
The reason? There's a soft gel inside a fresh battery that absorbs the bounce. This gel turns solid with use and the kinetic energy is not then absorbed. Thus the little jumps on a hard surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment