Tuesday 3 March 2009

Musical Electronics

Did you wonder where we are headed? Who would care if something more wonderful were not involved? To this very day, one of the most common discussions on audio amplifiers is always that of the guitar and transistors v Valves. Electric guitar players are convinced that the old valve amps are better. It is said that the transistors make the sound harsh ("tinny"), by emphasising odd harmonics. I have never really understood this claim. Although valves are more resistant to static discharge and rectifiers might give unintentioned compression, there are several things that put me off! Valves with their associated copper & iron transformers are heavy to carry & expensive! Overdrive effects are just as possible with transistors. I will grant it that valves are much more resistant to static damage but that is all. You tell me!

1 comment:

  1. There is chap called Hm (I think) who has researched these transistor effects in guitar amps. When I can find his report9s) I will include a comment on them.

    ReplyDelete